Jul 24, 2007

The Badger Effect

In one of the other things I do of a day, I have just been editing someone who was writing about the butterfly effect and how a flap of a butterfly's wings in Uruguay can cause a tornado in Utah?

I don't get this. I get responsibility (although mrs househusbandnot may disagree). I get cause and effect. I get how having a maniac in The White House* and a troubled preacher's son in Whitehall can affect many millions of peoples' lives. I get that me not recycling will affect other people before it affects me. I get that Steve Earle can move me with his music without even knowing who I am. But I don't get the butterfly thing.

How does it really work? A badger farts in Buckinghamshire, and a Mexican decides not to raid the local petrol station? A wolf howls in Italy, and somehow that affects Tiger Wood's stroke at the golf in Scotland? Can someone explain this butterfly thing to me? Hey, I'm down with my yang, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. A bit like that arrow being shot into Berkeley Square.

In not unrelated news, ended up really depressed last night, because I felt I had failed mrs hhn on some writing I was doing for her. Being me, this sense of failure looked around for someone to blame other than me, and lighted on mrs hhn, who is quite stressed enough at work at the moment without the added bonus of me being on her case at the end of the evening. Result was I sulked off to the sofa and watched crap tv all night, resulting in me with stiff neck and feeling tired this morning, just when I need to be sparky on a few work projects today. An hhn didn't deliver on some work for his wife, and he ended up sleeping on the sofa. See. I do get responsibility, if sometimes a little too late for any remedial action.

*Really interesting interview with Steve Earle in one of the Sunday papers btw, and how Earle says we must always treat and watch Bush as the addict that he is. (I read this article on Sunday and said to mrs hhn "Did you read this article?" and she said "Yes" and I said "It was really interesting about addiction didn't you think?" and mrs hhn said "I didn't read it. I was lying". I will never understand women, least of all the one I understand most.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hhn, don't even try to understand us. All men are after is there mother is the disguise of a younger woman ... and with great tits

Anonymous said...

Dude, you’re not really supposed to understand the Butterfly Effect; understanding it involves some really complicated mathematics and a good grounding in chaos theory. Put at its simplest, it means that a small change in the initial condition of a system will eventually result, via an ever-expanding chain of events, into differing large-scale outcomes. Perhaps more interestingly from an hhn point of view is the Madam B Effect, where large changes in the initial condition of the system (whatever subject hhn writes about) are translated via Madam B’s juvenile mind into inevitable smuttiness.

Anonymous said...

Ooh you are naughty Anon, fancy a quickie

Anonymous said...

And there it is again...

Anonymous said...

Now you'll understand hhn. Because I made a flippant comment anon had to take time up thinking about what I said. Yes, this took him/her/it nanoseconds, but I have just stopped him from being run over or consumed by a moth