Apr 11, 2007

Beggars' Banquets

Thanks to Styx for further example of the urban hustle, and thoughts on when and if we should give money to people on the street. Having sounded all knowing and surprised by mrs househusbandnot's naivety at giving the woman at our door a few quid the other night, I gave a `Got Any Spare Change For Something To Eat Guv' guy a couple of quid yesterday who was almost certainly going to spend it on drugs and or alcohol. I know this with some certainty because I overheard the next person he approached offering to buy him a sandwich and he ran off.

But I really agree with Styx about There But For The Grace Of God. As we come marching home from work with only an eye on the first - and second - gin and tonic, who are we to judge those who are doing the same thing but just in a rather more overt and less socially 'acceptable' manner? I am not sure it is any less 'acceptable' to be needing heroin than it is to be needing a drink after work. They are just both wants, and needs - and addictions too I guess, although never really sure about that one (as in I am not sure where addiction starts and need stops, or that addiction is treated very well in this country, unless it is Robbie Williams or someone).

Me? It depends. I gave an old woman a fiver the other day and she said: "Thanks love. The last man I asked wanted me to give him a blow job. That wasn't very nice was it?" And some other bloke with home-made tattoos on his face said to me "Thanks for not just telling me to fuck off" when I gave him fifty pence last week. I didn't want to hear anything about these people's lives. I just wanted them to go away. But both responses gave me a jolt to be reminded that it was about them and not just about me and my vacuum magnanimosity.

I guess we would all like not to be being hassled for money on the street, so that we don't have to stop and think about whether or not we want to give any out. But it is better (more socially acceptable?) than being mugged or having our credit card details robbed. It is a pretty honest exchange, even if the guy says it is for food rather than a drink or some drugs. And God it must be depressing begging, especially in London where we give or don't give or want to interview the poor fucker about what sort of sandwich he is going to buy.

9 comments:

David said...

Interesting points.

Anonymous said...

is this reflective side of things anything to do with your over consumption of easter eggs, disappearance and consequent resurrection?

I have a sack cloth if you want to borrow it?

Anonymous said...

David's is surely the most hilarious comment ever received by hhn.

Anonymous said...

Dude, tackling the big questions today! I'm liking it!
I used to know a guy, who, when asked if he could spare any change, used to reply pointedly "No, change comes from within." Smug, sanctimonious shit.
Anyone reduced to asking strangers in the street for money - as opposed to trying to scam them - surely deserves some human compassion. And I hope you all remember that the next tme you see me huddled by the cashpoint with my hand out...

Anonymous said...

we would, but like all beggars, you have become anonymous

Anonymous said...

Madam B displays a previously unsuspected sense of humour! The hhn experience just keep getting better and better.

hhn said...

And we have a genuine real person commenting on hhn in the shape of frightening David. (Why does his comment read as a threat?)

Reminds me Madame B, you never did send that photo of you did you.

And anonymous at the cash point is Waunch, who remains wedded to his anonymity, if not his (FINAL) fall from sub editor's throne by generating a typo.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't David look scary - I can see him with a club in his hand and a glint in his eye. Did you want a photo hhn - I'll see what I can do. What is a waunch - is it something you throw against a wall that bursts and leaves a sticky trail everywhere?

Anonymous said...

more david please NOW