Jan 16, 2007

Teenage Kicks

My niece was thirteen yesterday. As an homage to all things teenage, I am firing up the ipod with the most depressing songs I can find and going to lurk around on buses all day. As always there is a sub-text to what I am up to: somehow I have managed to lose itunes somewhere between my ipod and my PC, so am trying to re-find it and in the process am re-loading a load of songs onto my ipod. And I have a few hhn chores to do around town today, and the bus seems the most civilised way of getting all over town.

Some time ago, I did agree with Styx that blogging was not the place to be talking about all your favourite music, and wittering on about best guitar solos etc of all time. However, I do really need to recommend a song from a free cd that is being given away with Mojo magazine this month. It is a cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart by a band I have never heard of called Susanna And The Magical Orchestra. Crap band name, but amazing cover of an uncoverable song. I can't stop listening to it. (mrs hhn even caught me trying to sneak the ipod into bed with us last night, so I could get one final listen of it before zzzzing it.)

Continuing the teenage/routine biting hard theme, am feeling deeply disaffected this week. Don't know if it is January, and or the weather. I need to get over this, and back into 2007. But - in the meantime - if you catch sight of a large, sulky, head-phoned 41 year old on the bus today, stay away. I'm doing the urban teenage sulk. (Actually, depending on what time you see me, I may well be wrestling with a massive white box which contains mrs hhn's wedding dress which we are getting re-vacuum packed. So I will probably be looking more comical and hassled than threatening.)

In other news, mrs hhn has decided that the Broccoli woman is trying to sabotage my site. She (mrs hhn) does not believe me that I do not know Broccoli woman's identity, and that she (Broccoli woman) is some woman I wronged somewhere along the line who is getting her own back by constantly sending those anodyne comments to hhn.

Speaking of being wronged, there are two maybe three people who I have really hated in my career. I sat down last night with relish to watch one of them being 'exposed' on a tv documentary. Mostly because it was a terrible terrible slice of lazy journalism, my validation tasted a bit sour. It's a bummer being a teenager. You're never right about a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a wonderful song called 'Believer' by Susanna and the Magical Orchestra on Rough Trade's Counter Culture 2004. It's also featured on the Orchestra's own List of Lights and Buoys lp ( which I've not heard ). But the benefit of buying the RT cd is that there's a photo of the shop's interior on the back. Just visible is a rear-view of a sad-looking, balding git trying to order a Celine Dion 'Best of...'

Anonymous said...

Madam Broccoli here. Nah, don't worry Mrs HHN, you stick to your vegetable, I'll stick to mine