Sep 26, 2006

Bits Of Politics

So Gordon Brown gave his I Want To Be The Next Labour Leader speech at the Labour Party Conference yesterday. It was hardly the Gettysburg Address, more a measured and leaden riposte to some of the criticisms that have been made about him lately. We didn't find out much about the economy or foreign policy or any other 'politics' from his speech. But he told us a bit about his family and how much he lurves and respects his boss. And he kept on doing that really creepy new smile he has been taught. And that Arctic Monkeys gag? Purlease. (All ruined of course by the alleged throw away remark from Cherie Blair as she was leaving the conference hall during the speech. Maybe she is - allegedly - way smarter than we think.)

Politics today is about what politicians can do despite themselves rather than as a result of their charisma or conviction or consideration or party history. Brown and Blair and Cameron and that old geezer from the Liberal Democrats seem so reluctant to really take part. Pushed on specifics, they get all huffy like a schoolboy being asked if he really did steal the sweets from his smaller class-mate. It's as if they had been forced to become leaders and spokespeople, and resent the accountability that their office demands. Playground bullies without the courage to stand up to their own (bullying) convictions. (People complain about the Paxman style of interviewing, but I don't see that he has any other choice, faced with people who simply won't answer questions, or have had so many Central Office briefings that they have forgotten what the answer should be.)

When I was a quasi civil servant (I know, it's frightening isn't it) I had monthly briefings with the Ministry I worked with/for, which involved me asking, begging, pleading for my Ministry counterpart to give me some sort of idea as to what he wanted me to do. It was just too Yes Minister with me leaving the briefings with considerably less idea about what was going on, and how I was supposed to take part in those goings on.

I guess the real politic is this paralysis (which was the whole point of Yes Minister really). And the only point beyond paralysis is survival, which is what Gordon Brown was up to yesterday, in his leaden Scottish way.

My money is on John Reid. At least he looks like he wants to take part. (Will get back to comedy dogs, househusbandry etc tomorrow. Apologies for this party political distraction.)

No comments: