Mar 29, 2007

Tired Thoughts

I slept about an hour last night, waking up all the time worrying about stuff, and eventually realising that there was not much point trying to sleep when I heard the first birds calling to each other. (One in particular appeared - or sounded like it anyway - to have nested inside one of my pillows. As mentioned to a drowsy mrs househusbandnot: " When did birds get so fucking noisy".) Consolation was a Waunch-recommended book about a gentle English eccentric who decided to swim around Britain, which killed a few dead sleepless hours.

Have not heard back from those people who interviewed me last week, which seems rather a long time to make up their minds. I am thinking 1) they are really disorganised 2) they are not going to go with the piece of work I was interviewing for. It was that comment from the bloke on the interview panel about fees (my fees) which got me thinking that they were looking to try and get something done on the cheap or for free. It was an interesting piece of work too. We shall see, but I'm thinking having not heard back from them in a week suggests they are not going to go for it/with me for the work.

You will be more amused to hear that - after a similarly - long winded process, I have been asked to write a twice monthly blog about another agenda that I am involved in. Basically, it is an American health promotion website, and they need someone to be writing about what is going on in Europe. (Enter hhn stage right dressed as Sherlock Holmes.) This should be fun, although, being Americans, they have sent me through a too long and pompous contract which I am now required to triple sign in my own blood. All very official and organised, except they spelt my name wrong on the contract. (And the person I was dealing with on this work has some completely made up American name which I was quadruple checking every time I sent him an email.)

Website going well I think, despite continuing difficulties of sending out newsletters to subscribers. Does anyone out there use Aweber for this process? Does anyone out there know where the people who wrote to software for Aweber live so I can go and kill them? Traffic is slowly, slowly building on the site, so hopefully in approx 30 years I will be able to sell my share of the site, and buy a small piece of furniture with my web fortunes.

And an old friend has asked me to pitch for a part time post at an organisation she now runs. (This is how you really get work. Not through headhunters or adverts or websites, but through people you know - although I was a little chuffed, in my sleepless state this morning, to be told by the American with the funny name that they had chosen me to write their blog from 100 odd people - as in roughly 100, rather than 100 odd people.)

So, yeah. Bits and pieces, but getting there I think. Somewhere along the way I am hoping that a few of the dots will join up, and I will have enough work to keep me fully out of trouble, and more importantly in £ that mrs hhn and I can spend on stuff that we need to sort out. We've spent a year with not much money, which sure as hell makes you realise what you want, then really need. I'm not complaining. I am just still a bit introspective from staring at the ceiling for six hours last night.

No comments: