Mar 15, 2007

A Meaningless List

Stuck for much of interest to say today, I just checked the site meter on hhn and it looks like the regular 2,300 of you have already been in to check the blog today. Which makes - I'm thinking anyway - whatever I say today fairly meaningless.

So, to continue that theme:

An hhn A-Z of some cracking bands/musicians

a) Augustus Pablo (He should be under P, but then the gag in b would not work so well.)
b) Beta Band (Greatest stoner music of all time, except for maybe Augustus Pablo.)
c) The Clash (Sandinista one of the most underrated and patchy albums of all time?)
d) Dylan (Yeah, yeah. I know. But it was him or De La Soul. Hey, I'm white.)
e) Eno (I can safely say I have listened to Here Come The Warm Jets more than any other album I've ever owned. Clock in at least 500 listenings each of Music For Films, Before And After Science and Taking Tiger Mountain and he's got to be on the list, even if he can pseud for Europe.)
f) Fat Man
g) Gang Of Four
h) blokewho's eponymous and - as yet - unsigned band
i) Ian Dury (Because that first album was the first album I fell in love it. She was three years older than me, and didn't look at me once all afternoon...oh bugger. I've turned into Billy Bragg.)
j) The Jam (They are the only band I have ever written a fan letter to, reminding ourselves that Bid was an official member of the Japan Fan Club.)
k) King Tubby (or should he be under T?)
l) Low
m) Van Morrison (When he was good, which was a mighty long time ago now.)
n) No Doubt. (Only kidding. Just couldn't face the tirade of comments if I put in Nirvana.)
o) Orange Juice
p) Prince
q) Queen (For that guitar solo on Brighton Rock. If you don't know the solo, don't judge me until you've heard it. Also I only know one other band that begins with Q, and I only know that one single they did.)
r) Ride (Even though the guitarist plats for Oasis now.)
s) Smashing Pumpkins
t) Tricky (Best gig I've ever been to by approx x50.)
u) Underworld (I know they are crap, but I think they known that too. That 12 minute version of Light In gets me going every time I listen to it.)
v) Can't think of one.
w) Tom Waits (Oh, no. He really sucks.) Bunny Wailer
x) XTC (But only for Drums And Wires. The rest was rubbish. I was at school with the Nigel in Making Plans For Nigel btw.)
y) Neil Young
z) Er, The Zutons? (I've never heard them, but could not face putting in ZZ Top or Frank Zappa both of which/whom I think really suck. Oh, no. I've thought of one: Zwan.)

Pointful, huh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy hhn's ( chippy ) lists. This one read whilst listening to Tom - 'crap', apparently - Waits, as it happens.

I'll be sorely disappointed if Styx doesn't respond A-Z. ( And relieved if Bid doesn't. I've heard that he has the most banal taste ever these days. Ah, but he wouldn't respond would he? Too busy planning on 'becoming really left wing' presumably. That is, after he's made a fortune with nary a thought towards the ethics of his current employment. Ha! You wouldn't believe the bitchy details we quiet ones receive behind everyone's backs. )

mrs hhn - how about your 'gaying around' A-Z of musical artistes? A cockless one would be fun...

Anonymous said...

"Dylan (Yeah, yeah. I know. But it was him or De La Soul. Hey, I'm white.)" is this to add racism to your homophobic tones of late?

By the way - Tom Waits is a legend
and v, surely has to be the brilliant velvet underground

Tell us about Nigel. Brian Eno is a dick by the way, and an ego on legs.

J has to be johnny cash, no?

Anonymous said...

Rather than point out in detail what a cavalcade of mediocrity this list contains, I'd just like to point out that Nigel in XTC's 'Making Plans for Nigel' was in fact the band's bassist, who wrote the song about his parents' determination that he should get a proper job.

hhn said...

You see, you say you don't like my lists but you end up commenting about them.
And also rather liked the 'plats' typo in r.
Apologies for the Nigel claim. I was of the impression he was at school with me, and his dad was Head of British Steel..Steel
Rem, do you remember him? He was a fat bloke who owned an early synthesiser we were always trying to borrow?
I thought my comment about Dylan and De La Soul was deeply unrascist actually. But I would wouldn't I.

hhn said...

Me Again

blokewhodissesbid, Bid told me he doesn't have time to read hhn, or indeed any blogs at all. Interesting from a man who works in communications.

I imagine Styx is too busy waiting for his Police tickets to get back to us.

Incidentally, I can do request hhn lists if anyone has any suggestions - other than Police songs that Styx has cried to.

btw Madame B, Peter Stringfellow is a legend too.

Anonymous said...

don't I know I've seen his wonga!

As for lists, you are obviously not going to do anything vegetable related so how about:

Your 10 favourite/worst jobs in order of merit