Feb 8, 2007

Poetry

styx said...
Idea for tomorrow's blog:Poetry! Really? Convince us ...


It is not a case of trying to convince you about poetry (although I am fundamentally in agreement with Martin Amis that poets are just wannabe authors but who have not learned to drive so have not seen enough to write prose rather than short little lines about flowers and frost and lost love - or something like that anyway). I just think that poetry is going to be big this year.

It hits all the right buttons. It doesn't take much time to do, or read, or review. For some reason, it has a high spot in the culture hierarchy (up there with opera which really really sucks). It can make men look seem sensitive, and women inquisitive and sexy. And you can say things like "What am I reading at the moment? Well, I am quite getting back into poetry", and you don't have to go into any details.

I asked mrs hhn last night what she thought of poetry. "Well, anyone with an interest in philology is bound to be interested in poetry, but most of it is pretentious," she said. I retreated into the stupid corner to look up philology in the dictionary.

The last time I really sat down and read some poetry was when I was asked to do a reading at a friend's wedding. It was quite fun leafing through a Faber anthology of poems. But poems are just notes aren't they? Or well written emails? Or long text messages? Or shopping lists with verbs and a few non-food related nouns? Or blogs with a lot of full carriage returns?

Which is why it is becoming popular again. ("Should I read this very long book? Or a couple of poems about dust and quiet snow?" Five minutes later: "Right that's me cultured up for the day. Hmmm, I wonder what time Location Location Location is on this evening." )

So - like I said - I don't want to try and convince anyone. Poetry just seems to fit at the moment. It's like sushi. It looks like you are trying to improve yourself. It doesn't make you fat. And you feel good after it (even if it leaves you yearning for a Pot Noodle).

The Waunch got written about a lot
Yesterday on househusbandnot
Try as he did to dislike his profile
He has admitted it did make him smile
Although he says it's no comb over (Not)

Have a poetic weekend hhn x

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs hhn was from Ealing
and had a peculiar feeling,

I think you know the rest

hhn said...

Madame B Thank you for that
Most of my readers think you're a *&^%
But don't take it too personally
After all it is Fridee

Anonymous said...

Do pop songs count as poetry? I say a tentative "yes"....

(btw your analogy with sushi is not quite right. A book of poetry is more like a "menu gastronomique" - and equally as pretentious)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, hhn. I would like to see the results of your survey on that. And a picture of a broccoli

hhn said...

I did think about mentioning the musician as poet thang, but realised I might go into a Dylan rant.
And when did you (Styx) last listen to 'pop songs'? What is pop music anyway?
Where's blokewhohasntcommentedinawhile btw?

Anonymous said...

Oh, HHN, how cynical you are for one so young. Poetry 'doesn't take much time', poets are 'just wannabe writers', poems are 'just notes'. This is how you convince us that poetry is going to be big this year? Well thanks for that, Mister Zeitgeisty Coolhunter. I'm sorry that poetry joins the list of things, including jazz and now opera, that you don't like: is there anything even slightly culturally demanding that you can stand? Apart from Martin Amis, that is, although I don't believe he ever said anything like that paraphrase of yours.

hhn said...

WAUNCH SPOT WAUNCH SPOT (two hhn points for me)

Anonymous said...

hhn - is there a time where a stalk of broccoli will ever be displayed on this blog - or am I wasting my time coming here

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia says:
Popular music is music belonging to any of a number of musical styles that are accessible to the general public and are disseminated by one or more of the mass media. It stands in contrast to classical music, which historically was the music of elites or the upper strata of society, and traditional folk music, which was disseminated orally. It is sometimes abbreviated to pop music, although pop music is more often used for a narrower branch of popular music. (I don't agree with this last bit)


Is pop music a way of getting people to listen to poetry without them realising they are? Sneaky, but quite clever really.

Also, do you have to be "sensitive" to be a poet? Or is that a cliche? I just can't imagine an insensitive poet but, then, this whole poetry discussion has me flummoxed.

blokewhohasntcommentedinawhile seems to have commented quite recently. Expect more "incoming" soon!

Right, off to be a real househusband now that half-term is starting ...

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I reckon that's ten minus points for an incorrect challenge, HHN.

Real, real gone this time.

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, Styx, I was reading this earlier today...
http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=47929

Anonymous said...

is there where we get tokens for phantom of the opera?

Anonymous said...

OK - 10 points to me for spotting the Waunch posing as "anonymous" with that link to the article on poetry. More interesting than the article is the google ad half way down the page for "the soulmate calculator" - we can predict the exact name of your soulmate...excellent stuff.

Anonymous said...

excuse me, do i get the tickets hear or not. I need to get them for my garnddaughter. She'd be most upset if I didn't get them. I promised her you see, and you know what the young ones are like. I can't afford it on the pension which is why i was recommended to come here.

hhn said...

Morris, Assuming you are real - which is quite a leap of faith on this particular comments page - no sir, no tickets for sale here.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wasn't expecting to pay for them. the advert said you just had to answer a question on vegetables or something. sorry if I've come to the wrong place.