Feb 19, 2007

Food And Papers

Thanks for you various thoughts on Friday about my eating habits. (Anyone who actually knows me would know that I don't like olives, but, hey, if it keeps you happy mouthing off about me...)

How I was actually eating this weekend was at one of my favourite restaurants called Lundum's in South Kensington in London. It is a family-owned Danish restaurant that does a really excellent Sunday buffet. Now I know 'family-owned', 'Danish' and 'buffet' are not three words that usually get anyone thinking good food, but I really recommend it. Very low key, very friendly, quite expensive, but a great place. It is also a favourite of mrs hhn's, so we had a late Valentine's Day thing there, talking about nothing and everything, and drinking cold Danish beer as we piled into the buffet. (The scary old posh bird who was there last time we went - and who terrorised mrs hhn by bellowing at her - was there again yesterday. I guess she eats there all the time. She was marching around trying to get everyone to do everything for her. Having hidden mrs hhn in a corner, I stood my ground by the frikadeller at the buffet until Mrs Mad had finished her shouting about wanting a fork of something. Unlike mrs hhn, I'm not scared of posh old women, so no bravery on my part. Just mild amusement at how nuts grand old dames are allowed to be if you let them get away with it.[I am scared of lots of other sorts of people, including people who work behind the deli counters in supermarkets, drunk Scottish people, sober Russians, and skinheads.])

I may have mentioned that one of my sisters lives in Denmark. She and her husband are engaged in having a new house built on the land they own, and have asked me to go out and help them at some point. I'm looking forward to this in a Harrison Ford Witness sort of way. They have a cool beginning of summer festival in Denmark when you build a fire and hang out outside for the first time since last summer. I think I will try and time it so that I go there for this festival. (They have a lot of festivals in Denmark, including trying to catch the nasty black man who tries to steal kids Xmas presents. It's a strange country.)

As usual, the Sunday papers told me nothing I didn't already know, or didn't really need to know in the first place. I am thinking that the whole Sunday papers thing is a real waste of time and money and paper. With a stack of four papers to read back at home, all I could do yesterday was to try and distract mrs hhn so I could steal her copy of Elle Decoration to look at. (I think it is partly the nature of news nowadays - immediate, short, punchy - that makes massive Sunday paper three page articles about the benefits of living in France so unpalatable. )

Anyway, back to work again today on the website, which is looking very good, although am a little frustrated that mrs hhn and her team won't give me a promotions budget. Will work on it in the coming months.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oi hhn, hope your not calling me a danish tart, dont wanna have to happyslap you now, do I.

ANyone seen dirty dave - he owes me an ipod

Anonymous said...

There is a small family run Danish patisserie that I and my beloved oft frequent - it is somewhere near Frith Street and is ideal for pre-theatre aperitifs. The owner, a Madam Donzag, is very stern the first few times one visits, but after that couldn't be nicer. I thoroughly recommend it. Its exceedingly good value too. Tip top show

Anonymous said...

You will always get cross people in a Danish restaurant. The flag is red, a sign of anger and fury. There's even a cross on it showing they are not best pleased. No wonder they voted against joining the EU.

Anonymous said...

the danish know bog all about food. One pastry and they think they are great. Give me a pie and chips any old day of the week eh hhn. thank god there are now in our european kingdom - they would have poisoned us all by now.

Anonymous said...

I have free tickets for phantom of the opera if anyone wants them? Just go to

www.phantombollox.com

Anonymous said...

hey, what is this please. We Danes are very good cooks and we are proud of our culinary cusine, we make all sorts of traditional and popular food here and not just pastries. Have you never heard of Dansbrot? You English seem to prefer balnd food, we respect food more than that

hhn said...

Actually, Danish food - if not cooked by my sister - is really good. I had one of the best meals of my lifetime sitting on the deck of a summer house looking over a tranquil lake and forest in the Danish countryside.
At the end of the meal, my sister said to me "God, that woman [our host] is a great cook, but she isn't half pissed too."
"My English ijn't bad either," said our host.