Feb 15, 2007

Electric Dreams

" You can't work out the simplest thing on an iPod, are baffled by the most basic features on an idiot-proof mobile phone, and can't work an e-card website. Yet you blog widely, can write HTML and you design professional websites. I wonder if this tells us something about society's current relationship to technology, or is it just that you're a very strange man?"

This from a commenter to househusbandnot yesterday. I am not going to go into whether or not I am strange right now (which I'm not btw), but the whole relationship with technology thing is interesting? Why should I know how an iPod works if I can populate a website? Why should I be supper fly with my new mobile phone just because I can blog? It is like the whole fitness thing. I can currently (at a push) swim two miles of crawl in an hour or so. But ask me to run for a bus? Or cycle up a hill? And I'm dead. Fitness is very specific, as is my capacity to understand technology.

Part of it is the way we/I/software thinks I guess. The first software we used for this website I am working on I just couldn't understand. It was always asking the wrong questions, or giving me options I did not think were relevant to what I was doing, or I was asking it for things I was not sure meant anything - or were deeply significant. There was an essence in its design I just could not read. It was like talking to someone in a different language, from a different decade, on a phone that keeps cutting out.

And unlike other languages - you learn German, you can talk to most Germans -the language of technology seems to be entirely specific, and non-transferable - from gadget to gadget or old phone to new phone, or existing knowledge to task in front or you. I assume this has a lot to do with ownership of software rights, but I also assume it is about differentiation in the market place, and a desire to be recognised - or perceived anyway - as moving things forward. Why would I want to spent a few hundred bucks on software that was not going to confuse me. If it doesn't confuse me, then its true worth - or usefulness - is probably not that life changing or enhancing. (Am I making any sense here. I am speaking in hhntml.)

So, having established - in my mind anyway - that there is no logic to technology, I am out there/here just trying to scrape things together. I did get the new digital box for the tv working last night. I am capable of getting my phone to show a picture of mrs hhn when she calls me. But I still don't feel technology is working for me. I am working to try and get it to like me, or give me an in to its mystery powers. It's still a fight, not a cuddle. As a man, living in today's technology heavy world, I am trying to get there. But technology is moving faster than I am, and there are more of them moving it forward than there are of me trying to figure it out. (I am sounding like an old fart now I know, so will stop there.)

Although, in a blog-related technology query, how come Google has decided that people who read hhn may also be interested in advertising for a site where you can meet wives who want to cheat on their husbands? (See ad box, although it does change quite often.) Where's the logic in that? I know people spend hours of every day trying to figure out how Google thinks. But I don't get this one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that fecker dirty dave better buy me an ipod if i shag him - if he does, will you show me how to use it?

Anonymous said...

Nope, on careful reflection, the fact is simply that you are a very strange man. That is all.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to picture hhn as 'supper fly' [sic]. Presumably a supper fly is a bit like a barfly only when he's invited round for dinner he's the first at the kitchen table and the last to leave, still hoovering up staleing crusts of bread and sucking on other guests' discarded olive pits long after the hosts have retired for the night. 'Hey buddy, don't worry about washing them dishes - I'll lick 'em clean.'

Anonymous said...

Yep, that sounds like our hhn...

Anonymous said...

if someone close to you dies, change seats

Anonymous said...

Christian poetry, adultery, swimming pools for horses. Google knows you so well ...

BTW I can swim two miles UNDERWATER