Jan 24, 2007

Snow Association Panic

It snowed here in London last night. Getting ready for work, mrs hhn was saying how quiet she had felt it was during the night, which got me into my snow association panic:

Between the ages of seven and twelve, I was at a boarding school in Scotland. Since the school was mostly populated by nice but fairly interbred sons of Scottish farmers, I was judged to be the clever one. As a result, when it came to moving onto the next school, I was put up to do the scholarship exam for this next school, which involved a lot of extra-curricular work on Eng, Hist, Lat and Fr.

My English teacher was a red-faced English drop out of a middle aged man. (More Graham Green than Green ever got round to writing about) Later - much later - I realised that he must have been a huge drinker. But at the time, he was just known as Mr &^% who you should never cross, because he had a terrible temper and was prone to hitting you. Me and Ruary McPhee and Renwick Hamilton once got caught by him mucking around after lights out. He hit us so hard with a gym shoe on the arse, that we went beyond crying straight to hysterical laughing, which got Mr &^% even more annoyed. But he'd done his worst, so just shouted at us until we stopped laughing.

Anyway, because of the scholarship thing, I had to have extra English lessons with Mr &^% twice a week, in his own private rooms since it was after normal school hours. (Incidentally, if you are anticipating me and Mr &^% getting it on together, I'd stop reading this now. Ruary McPhee was the first - and last - boy I have ever seen masturbating, but that's a whole other story. ) We were doing creative writing or something about description one evening. Starting quite reasonably, Mr &^% asked me what it was like when it snowed. I was saying stuff like "wet" and "white" and "cold". And he got more and more incensed with me because these were not the answers he was looking for. And I was getting more and more tense thinking he was going to belt me because I couldn't get the answer right. Eventually, he bellowed at me: "Quiet. It's QUIET you bloody idiot". Ever since that evening, whenever it snows I think about the quiet, and not being able to get the right answer for that terrible, bullying teacher. Thanks for the memory teacher dude.

In unrelated news, I have just been reading a long and beautifully written email from our friends who moved to Kenya a couple of weeks ago. I am tempted to post it up on hhn, but am already in copyright discussions with The Waunch re my advertising revenue, so won't risk it. In contrast to the email, I am also reading a terrible book written by a female film-maker about her times in Africa. ("It was hot". "The food was terrible". "He was very handsome but I realised it was not right for me to date a black man". "I suddenly realised that I was the only woman in the room, and all my clothes had fallen off". Yeah, alright love. Get back behind the camera.)

Right, that's my therapy done for the day. Have a QUIET day out there in the snow.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

TESTING

Anonymous said...

hhn, I worry about you, I really do darling. Question: since broccoli woman has gone (where has she gone?) no-one is commenting - do I need to invite them all over for a party at ours to publicise hhn? Waunch? Styx? blokei'venevermet? love, mrshhn.x

Anonymous said...

i am awaiting an apology. Humph

Anonymous said...

mrs hhn, perhaps one of the reasons that some of us have been keeping as quiet as snow is that the bloody broccoli woman frequently seems to be woken up by the amusing comments of other readers. In fact the only reason I'm daring to comment today is that she appears to be comatose. (Would it be terribly off to venture a bellowing 'hurrah!'?) Of course I appreciate that I'm tempting fate here...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry blokeyouvenevermet - Madam Broccoli has never been kept awake by one of your comments and she has found all of your comments to date extremely ... fascinating. I feel a further hibernation coming on.

Anonymous said...

...And the reason Styx is being quiet is that he's in Brighton. Y'day we walked over the Seven Sisters to Beachy Head, a walk I recommend ( even tho' the wind was astonishingly, cheek-burningly cold ).
Incidentally, if ever you want to see Styx freak out just start walking slowly but purposefully towards a cliff's edge. ( Cue Broccoli...)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs HHN: Yes, I think a party would put me in a very commenty mood. What an excellent idea.

hhn said...

I find just asking Styx to supper is enough to get him in a bit of a cold sweat. Although am feeling guilty because he asked me and mrs hhn to the football this weekend, and I failed to get back to him in time with the fact we could'nt go.

Incidentally, blokewithburningcheeks and Broccoli Woman: calm down dears. It's only a blog.(Says he who goes into massive 24 sulk any time anyone says anything vaguely derogatory about hhn.)

Anonymous said...

Were I worked up, hhn, there might well be a need to calm down. As it is, I'm not in a fluster; I simply find the broccoli comments as futile as they are unfunny. And - with reference to your previous blog regarding half-truths - I think it a little disingenuous of you to suggest you're in some way in disagreement on this matter.

HHN
( scrunching his forehead)
But, guys...I mean, dudes...Why can't y'all just get along? I mean, maybe I'm having a Simon Bates moment here, but can't we all just try and be a bit nice to each other? Hey? What do you say? Dudes?

ENTIRE HHN READERSHIP
( grinning in a frankly terrifying manner )
COCKSUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Anonymous said...

apologies to Broccoli - respect dude - you are the queen of blogs and know more about anything than i will ever hope to know, i sincerely apologise because i am a twat faced twatterjack

Anonymous said...

Congratulations surely due to mrs hhn for instigating a veritable flurry of comments!

Anonymous said...

yes, well done mrs hhn, and what a great shagger too!

Anonymous said...

mrs hhn's sweet email of this morning seems to have inadvertantly opened Pandora's Twat.

Anonymous said...

and not only Pandora's, I hear she has a fine one :)

Anonymous said...

This has become as unedifying as it is sexist. Enough 'bloke' hijackers already.

Anonymous said...

here, here, I agree with myself - she does have a lovely unedifying twat so she does now

Anonymous said...

Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father
We don't need to escalate
You see, war is not the answer
For only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what's going on
What's going on
Ya, what's going on
Ah, what's going on

In the mean time
Right on, baby
Right on
Right on

Father, father, everybody thinks we're wrong
Oh, but who are they to judge us
Simply because our hair is long
Oh, you know we've got to find a way
To bring some understanding here today
Oh

Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me
So you can see
What's going on
Ya, what's going on
Tell me what's going on
I'll tell you what's going on - Uh
Right on baby
Right on baby

Anonymous said...

You mean 'hear!, hear!', not 'here, here'. Berk.

hhn said...

Enough please.

Anonymous said...

gosh guys, i only wondered if you wanted to come round on saturday and have a drink...
love, mrshhn
x

Anonymous said...

will we get a shag if we do? kisses

Anonymous said...

Can Mrs hhn make an entry (as it were han), sort of, write a blog like I did - i think it would be far more interesting

Anonymous said...

tum te tum tum tum