Nov 1, 2006

No Comment

A little disappointed that no-one had any comments or responses to my Us? Judgmental? post yesterday. Mind you I spend most post-posting hours being a little disappointed that so few - aka nil - people have responded to househusbandnot. And when people do leave comments, I usually end up being rude about them. (Probably explains mrs househusbandnot's desire to drag me to a life coach asap.)

I am assuming my observations on couples were so spot on that they did not require any comment. Or a little more realistically there are too few hours in the day for you to: check your emails, do your jobs, re-read your emails, read househusbandnot, do some more work, call your friends, do some more work, and send a comment to househusbandnot. Hey, I'm not bitter out here in blog Antarctica. Penguin-like, I will march on.

Actually, I've been doing a bit of thinking about househusbandnot, not least of all because I am doing some real work at the moment, so time spent on writing househusbandnot has actually become measurable against time I could/should be spending on other real writing. But how come I got more visits to the Animal Theories Edit the other day than any other of the 70 odd posts I've written to date? What's the frequency on this? All I did on Animal Theories Edit was make up a - quite funny I thought, I admit - gag about wildebeest trying to get out of that monstrous annual migration aka how to die by running around Africa by pretending to be goats. And my 'readership' doubled. (Incidentally, did you see David Attenborough on that TV awards thing last night? What a cool bloke. I often wonder if that myth about the Queen and his brother is true. The one about Dickie being knighted, and the Queen saying "No not that ghastly little man. I meant the nice one with the animals.")

I guess there is that Do What You Want To Do Rather Than Trying To Guess What Your Audiences Want To Hear dynamic, so I should not be actively trying to write stuff that I think will get hits. ("Actually, way before Google approached me about You Househusbandnot, I just wrote it for myself really. No, no I really did. Funny isn't it how... [takes large sip of gin and pull on hand-rolled Cuban cigar, before asking butler dressed in hhn-monogramed tails to tell Puff Daddy that if he must crash yet another househusbandnot pool party that he should at least TRY and produce a decent record]...how it all works out, eh? Does Banksy have to bring that elephant to every party he comes to? Oh God, here comes Timberlake. Artist, artist coming through. What? No, I don't write it any more. We have a factory in Mumbai where they do all that now.")

mrs househusbandnot is trying to get me to be more 'political' in househusbandnot because she read somewhere recently that the big thing at the moment is political blogs. But - like most politicians - I don't have anything very interesting to say about politics, and I find political 'commentary' a little too smug and self-serving, as in just filling up the page with personal opinions..hmmm, maybe mrs hhn has a point on this one.

In vaguely related news, I was in a bit of a Send Some Love Out There mood last night, so I sent an email to this edgy guy I had a bit of a falling out with last year. (There are two sides to the story, but let's just say I am sure a few sessions with a life coach would have sorted it out.) Anyway, he sent me a response to my email saying "I know what you've been up to. I've been reading your blog." It sounded like a threat. So maybe I shouldn't worry too much about the no comments. Otherwise I might really find out what y'all really think of househusbandnot. I will stop here, before I take my blog self to a whole new level of self-validation and navel gazing. Oh no, toooo late...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I considered commenting yesterday on your relationship post, but found myself overcome by a profound ennui after reading it. Frankly, I thought it veered between dull solipsism and the outright nonsensical. Personally, I read Househusbandnot for the animal-related stuff, and I'm very disappointed so far in the lack of mentions of the honey badger. Please can you remedy this deficiency?

Anonymous said...

can i buy any brocolli here?

hhn said...

Outright nonsensical works for me. If I did understand relationships, I'd be worried and lying. (I don't see that blogging can be anything but solipsism, but dull solipsism I will work on - indeed I try to every day of MY life.)

I am actually spending the weekend with housewifenot aka my sister who is full of animal stories (despite the dire state of her blog), so will see what I can do.

Incidentally, honey badgers are listed in the Guiness Book Of Records (2002) as the "most fearless animal in the world."

Anonymous said...

is that a no on brocolli then?

Anonymous said...

Brocolli is dull. Honey badgers are most emphatically not. I think you have your answer, pal.

Anonymous said...

Good God. Honey badgers exist, you mean? I thought they were some of househusbandnot delusion.

Anonymous said...

OK: Honey badger vs. penguin. Who would win?