Nov 28, 2006

Let Them Write Cake

"Dude, I've been reading you bleating on about whatever you've been bleating on about for months now. And its been fun. But today's example, about blogging demonstrating the democratisation of access, seemed farcical in the extreme. I would venture that the traditional "real notepads and practised shorthand" journalists, will, with the aid of seasoned editors and experienced sub-editors, provide something informative, well-judged and worth reading. Whatever the presser you went to was about, you didn't manage to tell me about it. I'll bet that the broadsheet hacks who were there got half-a-dozen column inches out of it. But you didn't. Much as I like your daily ramblings, I think it represents a dangerously self-involved egoism to think that churning out 500 words per day on waiting for the boiler dude has much to do with the craft of journalism. The news today -- that people like podcasts but no one actually goes out of their way to listen to them -- would seem to give the lie to the idea that anyone gives much of a flying fuck about blogs et al. Having broadband plus an opinion does not equal democritisation. Blogging is the icing; you are not the cake, dude. "

This comment on yesterday's househusbandnot. I totally agree. As I hit the 'publish' key to yesterday's post, I thought exactly the same thing - well kind of the same thing. (Good memory on househusbandnot though d.u.d.e. You really have been reading it since the beginning haven't you? ) However, I was never pretending that blogging was journalism. I think I was taking three things - journalism, blogging and technology - and trying to make them into two to make a point about communications in general. What I was trying to ask - and obviously failing to explain - was why are all the great opportunities for new communications just being used by geeks rather than 'real' journalists and good information disseminators. If the two sides continue the stand off against each other, neither will move forward.

And who would ever disagree that blogging by definition is ever anything other than self-involved egoism? No deadlines, no editors, no real context, no subs, and usually no readers. How could it be anything else? The real danger is when I/we/they pretend that it is anything else, egged on as I/we/they are at the moment by snipes from journalists, and other misleaders including the fact that we 'publish' our blogs. We don't publish anything. Publishing suggests audiences and process and order and discipline. Blogging is almost invariably none of those things, least of all disciplined. But maybe I was falling into a big old trap called my ego yesterday. I'm not apologing for that. But certainly apologies if it was boring or misleading.

So thanks for the comment. Although I think you are mixing up something with the no-one watches podcasts = blogs are crap argument. Kind of depends on what your et al is really. Although it does further emphasise my point about the mismatch between available technology and how we can use it to be effective communicators.

In amongst all this bolloxing on about communications, I failed to notice that today's househusbandnot is the 100th I have written. I was promising something special to mark this occasion, but all you got was me talking about myself in a vacuum again. Oh, well. Nothing like consistency. And thanks to mrs househusbandnot for a demand for a return to more animal stories. Will see what I can do.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want more animal stories...bring back the badgers hhn

Anonymous said...

mrs hhn - we need more broccolettes

Anonymous said...

I second MrsHHN: more of the honey badgers! (Sod the brocolli though)

Anonymous said...

Dear anon,

you are obviously a male. And a bad one at that. Broccoli is the greatest thing known to women (wink, wink eh mrs hhn). Be gone with your fancy theories on honey badgers, be gone with your philistinal musings on elks and be gone on your inconsequential monologues on the plight of the (insert any animal here).

We are the world,
we are the broccoli,
we are the ones that make a better day,
so lets start eating

hhn said...

Actually Anon is the one who wanted a photo of you, so I guess he could be male - Oh God, hhn is turning into a dating site.

Anonymous said...

has anon 1 got a big broccoli? I am famous now you know and wouldn't consider a limp little green thing for all the tea in china

oh, congrats on being a hundred today mr hhn

Anonymous said...

mrs hhn - i cannot believe you have left me to protect myself - what is sisterhood all about if we can't stick up for each other.

That terrible anon has slighted me badly - and i weep and sniff as i type into my lacy hankie - boo hoo, woe is me, and all because of a harmless and friendly broccoli - men are such brutes. I would tell your hubby to go easy from now on. oh woe is me .......

Anonymous said...

so what is your favourite animal Mrs Hhn ? and why ?

Anonymous said...

Brocolli Girl: That esteemed medical authority Dr Julius Hibbert is on record as having said brocolli is.. "one of the deadliest plants on earth. Why, it tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste." And he's a doctor, so he should know. So less of the brocolli-related nonsense, please.
But I like you. You're feisty...

Anonymous said...

What sre your favourite animals Mrs Hhn and why ??

Anonymous said...

Hey anon, now don't get me started on the merits of broccoli - we all know that broccoli cures everything from piles to congestion on the M25. Quack doctors are two a penny. hey I'm doctor broc from now on to you - anyways, since when am i broccoli 'girl' - you misogynist eejit of elkland

Anonymous said...

and hhn - take this comment moderator thing off - your not Stalin - get permission first from mrs hhn though!

Yours

Doc Broc

Anonymous said...

my favourite animals are ones that live in cold places...penguins, polar bears, walruses, whales etc. what are yours anon?

Anonymous said...

Like all of those,more "happy feet" penguin lover than "march of the penguings". Bears are cool, so are otters, birds of Prey magnificent. There is a huge inflateable reindeer placed outside my office but it keeps falling over.Reindeer are cool.
Oh and Monkeys, especially the small ones but not as pets please, in the wild.

Anonymous said...

Monkeys are wankers...