Dec 11, 2007

Conditionally Accepting

In other news (I'm just going to ignore Madame B on the pull again), for various reasons went to visit an animal testing laboratory today.


We saw a seven kilo rabbit called Claus. We were shown 27,000 zebra fish, and some marmosets, and mice, and rats, and guinea pigs - all doing their quiet sad thing for medical research. The people who showed us around were all deeply nice and good. (They are called animal technologists, and they don't do the research, just spend as much time looking after the animals as possible, and reporting researchers when they think they are distressing the animals too much, or not understanding the animals' needs.) It was all...

....I don't know really. You read about it all the time. And think you have opinions and moral limits and ethical concerns about animal research. And seeing the actual animals and talking to the people who actually look after them was provocative (not least of all when one bloke - and I swear this is true [like everything else on hhn btw] - saw that I was standing on the wrong side of the sign warning people not to stand there because that is where they keep the radioactively-tagged mice).

The guy who runs the lab really really wants a new frog system (it is what you keep frogs in). He also taught me a great new word: `phenotypic'. The saddest thing I saw, or heard rather, was that animals who have not yet had diseases or drugs put into them are called naives. Telling that the science community can describe something that has not yet taught THEM something as naive, or that naive could be considered a lack of having an administered disease or drug regime.

Actually one of the other really telling things on this whole weird day was when we were being given a talk about the rights and wrongs of animal testing, and the presenter said that the general public were on the whole `conditional acceptors' of animal testing. What a ridiculous euphemism. I would conditionally accept looking forward to death, or drinking snake blood, or having my (*&^ trapped in the doorway, if the conditions were constantly having my (*&^ trapped in a vice, or drinking snake poison, or having my (*&^ and my (*&^%$% trapped in a door covered in snake poison. I would conditionally accept that hhn is the greatest contribution to moden day raportage if I thought anyone was dumb enough to believe me. I would conditionally accept that I was a looney if enough people told me I was. I would conditionally accept that I was a better dancer than Prince if I had drunk enough tequila.

And another speaker, who was obviously brilliant, but spent too much time telling us how often he hung out with Ministers.

I'm sounding like I am against animal research, which I neither am or am not. It was just very very interesting seeing where it happened, and who did it, and who looked after the animals, and the animals themselves. Sorry to put a downer on the whole Xmas thing, but it is what I did today, which is just about all this blog is about I guess.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you calling honey badgers 'naive', matey?

Anonymous said...

and your google ad does allow hhn readers to save poor animals overseas who have been badly treated...

Anonymous said...

HHN, you have made me stare at my wrists - and no, that is not a good thing!

Anonymous said...

honey badgers are naive. Fact fat face.

Anonymous said...

Howdy i am fresh to this, I hit upon this chat board I find It incredibly helpful and it has helped me out so much. I should be able to contribute and aid others like it has helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Around.

Anonymous said...

Aloha i am new on here. I stumbled upon this message board I find It extremely accommodating and its helped me alot. I hope to contribute & guide others like its helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later

Anonymous said...

Hi i'm fresh to this, I came upon this site I have found It truly accessible & it has helped me out tons. I hope to give something back and assist other people like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You About.

Anonymous said...

Greetings i am new to this, I came accross this message board I find It positively helpful & it has helped me out alot. I hope to give something back & aid other users like its helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later