Jul 12, 2007

Styx-Censorship Overruled Shocker

Having mentioned earlier this week that I had been Styx-censored (Pistol-whipped. Bitch-slapped. Styx-censored. I like it.) about discussing music on hhn, I will mention that mrs househusbandnot and I went to see a band called Buffalo Tom last night. They are a sort of sub J Mascis (he plays guitar for them sometimes), sub Pavement, grown up Green Day. It was fun in a not been to a gig for a while way. The band were exactly what they are. They've been around for a couple of decades, pumping out workable, pretty derivative, not particularly thought through, tuneful grunge trio rock. Watching them at The Scala last night, I got the impression that they were exactly where they should be: in a smallish venue, thrashing away to maybe three or four hundred white middle aged former stoners. And I got to wondering if they were happy with their place in the world, partly within the context of mrs hhn's query the night before of what I would like to be if there were no limits to what I could be...

...this is the sort of deeply innocent/deeply loaded question that mrs hhn lobs out there pretty often, usually just as I have plonked my weary ass on the sofa with a drink and a packet of onion rings and a complaint that there is no cricket to watch on TV. After my initial bristling, defensive responses to these mrs hhn queries, I have come to learn that she is not actually judging me, but does genuinely want to know the answer to the question. Which is part of the rest of the game I guess. To be Buffalo Tom, or reach a little higher and practise a little more, and let the bass player do more of the singing. (Having neatly boxed myself into pseuds corner with my Buffalo Tom versus reaching for the stars discussion, I am seeing why music should be a no no on hhn.)

Anyway, I've mentioned animal ambitions. Other more general ones include:
  • never wearing socks again (and if I have to, only ever wearing a brand new pair)
  • never flying coach again
  • always being within easy access of an uncrowded swimming pool
  • having a house by a loch in Scotland
  • being able to tell mrs hhn to stuff the job and come and hang out by the loch and watch otters (oops, animals again)
  • never having to go to another meeting, unless it is with my architect to discuss the installation of a water slide from our bedroom to our pool, or with those guys who come and wire up a massive sound system in all the rooms in your house
  • being Prince's bezzy mate when he is in London
  • and being able to anticipate what mrs hhn wants as she wants it, not later

All a little serious today. I blame Buffalo Tom. Maybe they are better than I thought they were.

Finally, in news in from Waunch News Feed (WNF): http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article2059824.ece I always think that when they start to blame the animals, it is the beginning of the end.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calling Buffalo Tom from ground control. Lofty ambitions indeed. Back down to earth please. Remember, answering such questions from mre hhn is politically loaded. Remeber your answers have to tick all the right boxes. Best be vague. Mr Broccoli knows this lesson well.

Anonymous said...

The new Buffalo Tom was recommended to me y'day by one of the good people at Rough Trade. Has hhn heard it?

Also, thanks for the Times link. I've learned a new word: 'ouster n., ( Law & US ) ejection.'

Anonymous said...

Styx - hhn is so chary about over-riding your music-censorship that he responded to my question above by email!

And hhn, in case you haven't seen this weeks Time Out, you should be aware that hedgehogs are expected to be extinct in the UK by 2025. If you want to see one you'ld best get hunting. Also according to TO 'The hedgehog can jump two feet in the air but is remarkably stupid.'

hhn said...

I wasn't being `chary'. I just looked at my options for contacting you - email, facebook, myspace, carrier pigeon etc. - and saw your email first.

Am happy to discuss Styx-censorships on hhn, of which - as you know blokewhohasbeenhangingoutwithstyxsinceyouwerebothnippers - there are various and many.
Styx?

Anonymous said...

What's Styx got to do with anything? Stuff his rules and injunctions. If we wanna talk about music, we should talk about music. Anyone heard the new Modest Mouse record?

Anonymous said...

yeah, who wants to talk Broccoli

Anonymous said...

Yeah, alright hhn - keep yer wig on. ( And why've you put 'chary' in inverted commas? ).

The trouble with dispensing with Styx-Stalin's music censorship is that some Dadrock-luvvin' Santana fan immediately wants to talk about Modest bleeding Mouse.

Young Marble Giants' 'Colossal Youth' lp has been re-released along with 'collected works'. 3 cds for a tenner.

Styx?

Anonymous said...

Who is Styx?

Anonymous said...

The trouble with being a Dadrock-luvvin' Santana fan is the terrible sense of despair that descends upon one when superannuated menopausal post-punks start droning on about Welsh loser bands like Young Marble Giants, who no one *ever* liked because they were fucking abysmal. So maybe Styx had a point.

Anonymous said...

Calm down love. It could be time to put some polyfilla in that chip of yours.