Jul 31, 2006

It's A Remix

I'm on a different timetable from you 9 to 5ers. My Monday is your Wednesday - "What am I doing with my life?" My Tuesday is your Monday - "Right let's see what needs to be done?" My Wednesday is your Tuesday - "No not quite anything at all. I'm feeling nothing." My Thursday is your Friday - "Yeaaaaaaah". And my Friday is your Thursday - "God, long week so far". We are singing the same Craig David song, but differently.

On my re-mixed weekdays, I stop at eleven to have a gossip with myself about myself by the coffee machine. I have small punchy lunches so as not to waste time from not being at work. I don't do much filing, or have any conference calls. I try not to submit too many expenses claims. Round about three in the afternoon I do have a meeting with myself, but at the swimming pool. I sometimes fantasise about meetings with people I don't know. At five or six I contemplate the day I've just not had.

But today I am about to get back to doing a job application for a (real) job I (really) want, and think I could also do. I appreciate there is a big gap between thinking you can do something and being able/allowed to do it: Hitler, Cherie Blair and the British Winter Olympics Team come to mind re this capacity/desire/reality mismatch. But we shall see.

Filling out job application forms is a sanguine affair. It makes you - forces you - to think about why you left jobs, why you had them in the first place, why you want to work, what "particular qualities" you could bring to an office or department or team out there in the real world, who else is applying for the job and if they have the same lives as you, and how you could help other people to realise their own potential... oh, &^%&^. I'm turning into a life coach.

In my demands for what people should not put in their blogs, I guess introspection should have been on the list. But like I said, my Monday is your Wednesday. Bear with me. Tuesday could be a hoot.

No comments: